Saturday, May 8, 2010

This part of our pilgrimage is complete...

This morning our group of ten, left the hotel to move in different directions. Some are heading for home today. Others to see different parts of the and to travel further afield. We continue our prayers for safe travel for all. I am now beginning the next stage of my sabbatical with a month of study here in Rome.

As we prayed last night and again this morning, we remembered again that we are less than one third of our complete group. While we have not been physically together these past couple of weeks, we have journeyed together in many other ways. We have shared joys and hopes, griefs and anxieties. We have loved one another as a community of faith.

Some last photos of the group as we prepared to depart. The pictures tell the story.
















+++

Remember Thomas Merton's Prayer for the Pilgrim. We have all been through a lot since we first prayed this together at our pre-pilgrimage meetings. Because of all we have been through together we have a new depth of understanding and of faith. Let us continue to pray with and for each other:

A Pilgrim's Prayer by Thomas Merton

My Lord God,
I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end....
Nor do I really know myself,
and the fact that I think I am following your will
does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you,
does in fact please you.
And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this,
You will lead me by the right road, though
I may know nothing about it.
Therefore will I trust you always though
I may seem lost in the shadow of death.
I will not fear, for you are ever with me,
and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.
Amen

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the prayer by Thomas Merton.
    I wrote a few lines, for all the Pilgrims, and all the want-a-be Pilgrims. Here goes...

    "I come to gather
    Where you once walked
    To see the places
    That you once saw
    A life once lived
    A love so gived
    I stand in awe

    Time stands still
    Through words passed on
    The lessons taught
    The wisdom sought
    A life lived now
    Through each new day
    I journey on

    And so to all
    Who come and go
    May you be with them
    As they walk on

    And so as I
    Cross paths with them
    I too may pilgrim
    And journey too."

    ReplyDelete