Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Gathering ...

Thank you Marie for your post with the photos of Saturday night. It is early morning here in Jerusalem and I have found a little cafe around the corner from our hotel with free WiFi.


Make a comment

Making a comment on this blog is easy. We would love to hear from you, even a word or two, perhaps about the gathering on Saturday night


You are a community formed by God!

It was so good to see the photos. You are a community formed by an act of God. I don't mean primarily the volcano (I don't think God caused this. One day we will find out that the real cause was US foreign policy trying to influence the UK elections ... )

My deepest conviction (and I do not say this casually), is that whatever happens, God is at work. While God does not always cause the circumstances we find ourselves in (often my situation is the result of my own poor decisions or the bad intent of others), whatever the circumstances of the moment, this is where God is at work.

Even from this physical distance I can seek that God has been at work in you all in these remarkable circumstances. Many of you have emailed me of your gratitude to Mike for his leadership in this difficult situation. I know that Jack has provided sound priestly pastoral leadership. I know too that each of you in different (and often unseen ways) have cared for one another in the testing environment of a departure gate.

God never misses an opportunity to work miracles – even in an airport.


Next Year?

It is good to hear from you Marie that many are interested in continuing this pilgrimage in the Holy Land next year. Remember my earlier posting: ‘never say never’. This is a remarkable country. I am delighted that so many of you are seriously considering making this part of the journey next year.

This journey is giving me the opportunity to fine tune a pilgrimage. THere are some things that we need to see more of, other things, less. Some hotel's are ideal, others not so good. So, with this practice run a pilgrimage next year will be worth the wait!

Watch this space.


With love
John

3 comments:

  1. Fr John
    I have been following your travels with interest. It seems to me that it is not what you have seen that is important but rather how you have reacted to what you have seen. We appreciate the time you take to write up each day's sights and thoughts.
    Take care.
    Bernard H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fr John
    Wow! Following with interest. The photos are wonderful, ....so is the reaction. Best Wishes. Condolences to all the pilgrims who had to return to Christchurch. Anna-Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. After a short stay at Nelson Creek on the West Coast, to re-arrange our minds and to check out if whitebait did really come up the Nelson Creek river'Only to be told by a oldtimer "the catches being so big that they would dug half of them into the garden! sounds like a real West Coast story to Me.
    A lovely friendy meal at Sue on Saturday a great opportunity to share stories of the past and discuss plans of the future.
    Coming out of Mass on Sunday at OLV I said to Richard "I feel as if I know half the parish.
    Thank you eveyone who has open your heart to the 2 pilgrims from Geraldine.
    Today Fleur and Pat arrived to spend a few nights and have some time with friends who are staying in the Presbytery.
    Thank you Fr. John I look forward to your updates each morning and it will be nice to hear when the last six arrive.
    Margaret & Richard Bray

    ReplyDelete